Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The magic carpet ride continues (early June 2010)



Kusadassi


After all the quaint little villages and towns we had been in before, our first impressions echoed the jaded view in Lonely planet's description of Kusadassi:

"About 22km southwest of Selcuk lies Kuşadası, which suffers from the double indignity of being a cruise-ship port and a major package-holiday resort. English-style pubs and karaoke bars are filled with football strips signed ‘Elaine and Gary from Tredegar, South Wales’, ‘The Essex Police’ and ‘The Catholic Girls’. Then there are the tattoo parlours and shopping centres."

But as the weeks went by, we started seeing beyond the veneer and Kusadasi started growing on us. I enjoyed going for a jog along the waterfront occasionally after being cooped up on the boat in the prior weeks. And while we naturally did work in the daytime, on our free evenings we became regular visitors to the bazaar. As in all the other ports we where drawn to the smaller, family run businesses. These people became more than familiar faces. We soon had our favorite haunts where we would stop and visit, and bonds of friendship developed. We would sit with them on chairs in the broad walkway between shops, joining in the banter and sipping tea. In our favorite restaurant we where warmly welcomed as friends.

In the line of work, I also got the opportunity to see a different view of the city. I needed to search out a few items for the upcoming charters with the guest, and used the local knowledge of our boat agent. He had me hop on the back of his little scooter. In a country where not even the police wear helmets, weaving through the hectic city traffic was perhaps a slightly risky venture. But I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity of seeing a bit more of the city. Sitting on the back of the scooter I drank in the sights and smells like a dog with its nose outside of the car window.

On the ferry over
The lovely Greek island Samos
Shortly after our arrival in Kusadasi, I had a small problem that was a pleasure to attend to. For visa purposes, I needed to leave Turkey briefly. The solution was a visit by ferry to the Greek island of Samos. While simply going over for the day would have sufficed, I decided that I may as well make a week end of it.

I even dressed for the occasion, looking like a brochure advertising just such a venture standing on the ferry with my white cotton dress and the wind in my hair.

Samos



Samos
It was a thoroughly enjoyable week end getaway. I noticed while wondering between the shops that despite its close proximity, this Greek island truly has quite a different atmosphere to nearby Turkey. I browsed the shops, ate local food, talked to strangers, enjoying my brief moment of being a tourist on a Greek Island. I lazed next to my hotel pool and read a book.

Samos
But there was something bitter sweet to being in such a lovely location. Surrounded by couples of all ages, I was reminded that this romantic island was not meant to be savored alone. Yes, I am having unique experiences and I see many interesting places. But it does come at a price.

Samos
I have very little personal space on the boat. Most of my possessions are stowed under my bed, its a little like living out of a suitcase. Hobbies such as painting is near impossible to pursue. But the hardest part is the social isolation. We live in a small community on the boat, and excursions such as this one provides a rare opportunity to socialize beyond that small group. I have very little chance of finding love while I am constantly on the move and locked away on the boat. I miss things others take for granted, looking forward to simple pleasures such as an apartment ashore to live in. Room to spread out. Finally unpacking. Time and space for hobbies such as painting.

Lying on a sunbed next to the pool on this me lovely Greek island, this rolling stone was dreaming of gathering moss.

No comments: