Saturday, August 2, 2008

Heading home

Sailing in 'Vamouse' was a great experience. After years on a 28 foot sailboat, this was my first passage on a 45 foot boat. Captain David even allowed a fresh water shower after our mid ocean swim as we were already near Antigua. Any small boat owner will understand what a great luxury that is! Antigua proved to be a lovely island. David's wife Nancy was there waiting for our arrival. Together we explored the island ad tried out many a restaurant. David and Nancy are dear people.

Before heading back to South Africa I did get the opportunity to do a little more sailing with friends. Even though I had been on a boat for years did many ocean crossings, our time in port was usually spent earning income or maintaining our boat. So for a few months I had the pure luxury of just cruising. I spent time in the Virgin Islands, and sailed down island as far as Dominica, stopping in many ports en route.
In January however it was time to head back home. Mom had flown to visit me in the States once, but this would be my first time back in South Africa after nine years. Leaving the islands I looked down on the emerald sea dotted with islands. As we ascended I could even make out the wake of a boat. While I have flown to many places over the years, this was the start of my solo travels. I have to admit, it was actually exciting.
After two days of travel I finally set foot on African soil again. Mom was there waiting with open arms. In the months that followed we spent many a morning having tea in her bird friendly garden, surrounded by my step dad's extended canine family. We took a girly vacation with my mom's friend.

The three of us went to two nature reserves in the northern parts of South Africa. So much had changed in South Africa, but nature did not. Mom and I went for on a bush walk with a park ranger. I marveled at recognizing little flowers and trees and felt a sense of connection with my surrounding. I shared little stories with our fellow hikers on the plants and animals and past memories. Those memories of a childhood often spent close to nature.

But alas it was time to think of my future. The crime and violence that made us sail away nearly a decade earlier, had only become worse. While it was lovely visiting mom South Africa was not the place for my new beginning. After three months at home my divorce was through and it was time for Gypsy girl to put those walking shoes on again ......

In all those travel years I have had many careers. I have been a nanny, housekeeper, receptionist in a youth hostell, boat repairer and painter, canvas goods maker, commercial construction worker including carpentry, demolition and painting. Coffee shop manager, wine bar and fine dining waitress. I loved the sailing but no longer wanted to work with the nasty chemicals involved in the cosmetics and repairs of boats. I was still in touch with sailing friends that settled in the Caribbean. I decided to give the mega yacht industry a try. This is the large luxury yachts that often spend their winters in the Caribbean and their summers in the Mediterranean. I felt my sailing and hospitality industry experience would provide a good back ground for working as a stewardess on a mega yacht.

But there was a catch. With waiting for my court date it was now near the end of the season for the yachts in the Caribbean. I nervously kept calling my friend in the islands. "Am I too late for the season? Should I wait out this season in South Africa? Will I be in time to catch a yacht heading to the Med? I don't want to be stuck cleaning boat bottoms in the low season ....."
My friend just laughed at my trepidation and told me to stop worrying, get on a plane and get to the islands.

So with a mixture of excitement and fear I said farewell to mom and South Africa and boarded the plane to new beginnings .........

No comments: